This week (17- 23 June) is Refugee Week, the UK’s largest festival celebrating the contribution of refugees and promoting understanding of why people seek shelter and asylum in the UK.
Leicestershire Life Links would like to show our support for all refugees and asylum seekers currently residing in Leicester.
Richmond Fellowship’s Leicestershire Life Links service provides a wellness and mental health recovery service tailored to meet your needs. We offer a range of support, including:
One-to-One support sessions
Peer group support
Information advice and navigation services
According to The Mental Health Foundation:
Asylum seekers and refugees are more likely to experience poor mental health than the local population, including higher rates of depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and other anxiety disorders.
- The increased vulnerability to mental health problems that refugees and asylum seekers face is linked to pre-migration experiences (such as war trauma) and post-migration conditions (such as separation from family, difficulties with asylum procedures and poor housing).
- Research suggests that asylum seekers are five times more likely to have mental health needs than the general population and more than 61% will experience serious mental distress. However, data shows that they are less likely to receive support than the general population.
For more information about Refugee Week and how you can get involved, visit: https://refugeeweek.org.uk/.
To find out more about the support we can provide and our self referral process, contact us on:
0800 0234 575 (Freephone) or email us at Leicester.firstname.lastname@example.org.
To help those in need and crisis across Leicester and to help access services.
Life Links, 60 Charles Street
Leicester, Leicestershire, LE1 1FB
0800 023 4575
From The Blog
- Support at Christmas16th December 2019 - 2:25 pm
- ‘Take Care of Yourself’ Health and Wellbeing Event10th December 2019 - 3:19 pm
- Julian Harris Talk10th December 2019 - 3:04 pm
- Leicestershire LifeLinks 2 Year Anniversary Event3rd December 2019 - 9:22 am
- Positive Psychology Workshop25th November 2019 - 7:13 pm